The River Products Company was the first successful manufacturing operation in Iowa City to celebrate 100 continuous years in business in March 2020.
In 1920, the Conklin Quarry, located immediately North of the Iowa River in Penn Township, opened. Geological surveys indicated a concentrated deposit of quality limestone which tested high in calcium. The high quality of the stone allows us to meet the Iowa Department of Transportation specifications, engineered building trade requirements, and construction industry standards. River Products Company, Inc. will continue to supply the market area with crushed rock and sand and gravel for all types of work for many years to come.
As leisure time increases, the complementary industry will continue on an upswing, necessitating the building of better road systems, bike paths, improved waterways and other recreational activities all using more limestone and sand and gravel products. The Iowa Department of Transportation Central Lab in Ames, Iowa is continually monitoring quarry ledges and sand and gravel deposits to verify the quality of the stone and sand and gravel for their applicable uses.
Agricultural use of limestone has remained steady throughout the years. Farmers and farm cooperatives remain top users of Ag-Lime during the spring, fall, and early winter seasons. Limestone reduces soil acidity, resulting in the soil remaining productive.
In 1963, River Products Company acquired quarries located in Washington and Louisa Counties, including an underground mine near Columbus Junction.
In 1977, a sand dredging and plant processing operation was started at Fredonia, Louisa County, Iowa.
In 1982, River Products Company began crushing operations at the Klein Quarry, west of Coralville, Johnson County, Iowa.
In 1989, we purchased the sand operations at Riverside, Washington County, Iowa.
In 2007, we moved the Riverside Sand Operations 2.5 miles North and opened Riverside-II just South of Hills, Johnson County, Iowa.
In 2001, we began site development at the Dingleberry-Ernst Quarry located northeast of Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa, with production start-up occurring in the fall of 2003.
In March of 2005, we completed our newly constructed, fully automated plant at Klein Quarry.
River Products Company and its affiliates currently employ 117 full-time people in Johnson, Washington, and Louisa counties. In 1999, the Corporate Offices moved from downtown and are now located at 3273 Dubuque Street N.E., Iowa City, Iowa.
The Company produced over 95,000,000+ tons of material between the years of 1920-2020. River Products Company, Inc. maintains product prices to remain competitive through modernization and efficient use of all resources.